You can install the Attentive application, available on the Salesforce AppExchange, to automate your Salesforce Marketing Cloud (SFMC) account with Attentive. This integration enables you to forward email addresses and phone numbers* that are captured by Attentive to your SFMC account. After you set up this integration, you can add an Attentive messaging activity in Salesforce Journey Builder to send SMS and MMS messages directly in Salesforce (see Attentive and Salesforce Journey Builder for details).
*Passing phone numbers must be approved by the White Glove team (email@example.com) at Attentive.
Here’s what we cover in this guide:
- How to create an API user account in SFMC with the relevant permissions
- How to install the Attentive app from the Salesforce AppExchange
- How to create an Event Entry Source in SFMC
- How to set up the integration in the Attentive platform
- How to verify the Attentive and SFMC connection
Here’s what we don’t cover in this guide:
- How to set up a SFMC account
- How to set up an Attentive account
Step 1. Create an API user in SFMC
Log in to your admin Salesforce account and complete the steps to create a Marketing Cloud API user. Ensure that the following is configured for the user:
- Roles—Ensure that you selected both Administrator and Marketing Cloud Administrator as your roles.
- Reply Email Address—It is recommended to add your work email address. This ensures that you have access to the email inbox of the account.
Step 2. Install the Attentive app
Complete the following procedure to install the Attentive app from Salesforce AppExchange:
- Install the Attentive app from the Salesforce AppExchange. Note: We recommend using Firefox when installing the Attentive app, due to an issue found in Salesforce.
- Select the Access tab on the Attentive - AppExchange Prod package page, and then click License All Users in the top-right corner.
Note: Ensure you have an Event Entry Source present in your SFMC account. If an Event Entry Source is present, continue to Step 4. If an Event Entry Source is not present, continue to the next procedure.
Step 3. Create an Event Entry Source
Attentive relies on existing Entry Sources to properly connect the integration to SFMC Journey Builder.
If an Event Entry Source is present, you can skip this step and continue to Step 4. If an Event Entry Source is not present, you can create an event of any type in the SFMC Journey Builder. Complete the following procedure:
- Navigate to your Salesforce Journey Builder account.
- Select the Entry Sources tab, and then click New Event, as shown in the following image.
- Select API Event from the list of options, then click Next.
- Enter details for the Name and Description fields. Note that the Event Definition Key is automatically generated. Then, click Next.
- Select an existing Data Extension, and then click Next. If there are no Data Extensions in your account, see Create a Data Extension in Marketing Cloud.
Note: Attentive does not reference or read data from this Data Extension. However, SFMC requires selecting an existing Data Extension in order for this setup to work. It is recommended that a separate, empty Data Extension is created for this step.
- Click Next in the Contact Filter step, as shown in the following image. Note that it is not required to select a contact filter.
- Click Done.
Note that you must complete this section if you plan to use Attentive in the Salesforce Journey Builder. See Attentive and Salesforce Journey Builder for more information.
Step 4. Set up the integration in Attentive
Complete the following procedure to set up the integration in Attentive's platform.
- Navigate to the integrations setup page and select Salesforce Marketing Cloud.
- Click Set up integration. You are redirected to the Salesforce login page.
- Log in to Salesforce using the username and password for the API User created in the Create an API user in SFMC step.
After you log in to Salesforce you’ll be redirected back to Attentive’s platform and the following message appears to confirm the connection: “Your Salesforce integration has been connected.” The Salesforce Marketing Cloud widget now appears in the Manage tab to confirm the integration.
Note: The Salesforce integration connection will expire after 60 days if no new emails are captured.
Log in to your Salesforce Marketing Cloud account and confirm the following:
- Check for the new Data Extension—Complete the procedure to View Marketing Cloud Data Extension Records. A new Data Extension, AttentiveAPIEvent, should appear. This is the new destination for email postbacks.
- Use the entry source, AttentiveAPIEvent, in Salesforce Journey Builder—Complete the procedure in Admit Contacts Via API and select AttentiveAPIEvent from the list of possible API Events.
We’re here to help! Contact our White Glove team (firstname.lastname@example.org) to ask about the Attentive and Salesforce Marketing Cloud integration.