Follow these instructions to format a CSV file before uploading it as a new or addition to a segment.
Open a CSV file using Excel or Google Sheets
Tip! Comma-separated value (CSV) files are the only formatting option currently accepted for uploading a manual segment subscriber list. CSV is the most common format for exporting and importing data.
Add Column Headers
Add a single row at the top of your spreadsheet, which serves as the headers for each column. If you don't currently have headers, you'll have the option to create your own headers during the formatting process.
Tip! When you upload your file, the header is used to match that column with an existing field. It uses the header to find any fields with the same name.
Format your File
The first row of the CSV file should contain headers for each column.
Acceptable combinations are:
- 1 column with 'phone' in the header
- 1 column with 'email' in the header
- 2 columns, one with 'phone' in the header and one with 'email' in the header (the order of the columns does not matter)
The rows in the file will be matched with existing Attentive subscribers to create a new manual segment. It will not create any new subscribers. If you would like to upload new Attentive subscribers, contact our White Glove team (email@example.com).
- Ensure that your CSV file contains only those columns you want to import into segments. For example, if your CSV has 10 columns, but only two of them are going to be used in Attentive, your CSV file should contain those two columns, only.
- Your CSV file name must be less than 128 characters
- Headers should be separated by commas
- Each subscriber should be on a new line with a comma separating their email and phone. Do not end the row with a comma
- If you only have one column, you will not use commas
- If you aren’t providing an email or phone for a subscriber, leave the value empty but DO use a comma to denote the the next column
- Review your data to make sure that the formatting is correct before uploading the file. This will ensure you have a high match rate.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you need help uploading your CSV file.